Friday, July 17, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

Have you ever seen a kid after they have learned a new motor skill? A baby that learns to stick out its tongue will continue to stick out its tongue. A child that learns how to hold a spoon/fork/pen/pencil/marker will grab on to that item as though their life depended upon it. I thought that I had passed the phase where my body liked to repeat things after learning how to do it.

Not so. Yesterday I went to the hospital for the now-routine non-stress test. I was just laying there with the things on my belly and the nurse comes in and tells me that I had two contractions. Hmmmm, I didn't feel it. She explained it a little and I still hadn't felt it. I got home, now knowing what this meant, and continued to have them throughout the night. Not so many requiring a hospital visit, but mostly just laughing at myself for not having realized what those were sooner. In retrospect, I've been having contractions rather sporadically and separate for a couple weeks.

I'm expecting that the "real" ones will be more noticable (and painful), but it's just one more sign that I'm approaching the finish line.

As an aside, I can now walk into the hospital and the nurse, receptionist, and ultrasound tech know me by my face and wave and say "Bye Holly" as I'm leaving. I suppose there are a few perks to small town hospitals. :)

No comments: