Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mindfulness

Over the weekend David asked me how I am "always" in a good mood. I'm not sure that is an accurate interpretation, but he got me thinking. He was speaking specifically to my interactions with Henley, or so it seemed.

After a fair amount of thinking, I think I figured it out. Henley has no idea why I do the things I do. She is in her "trust vs. mistrust" stage. Everything I do with her either builds or breaks trust. If I am having a bad day and behave accordingly, she doesn't know to think that it was because such and such happened. Regardless of what has happened that day/week my core feelings about her do not change. When I am around her, I make an effort to be congruent in my feelings and behavior. Is it best to sit on the floor in my work clothes and play with her for an hour instead of doing the dishes? Possibly not, but she doesn't know why dishes are important (or not).

As much as some of us would like to believe we are prone to a reaction of an event/statement/feeling, in the end, it all becomes a choice. I know that some times it is not as easy (such as today as I wrestled a 14 month old for 30 minutes to change a diaper). But it really is worth the extra mindfulness in the long run. Mindfulness also tends to help us feel more gratitude and happiness.

So, today I am mindful of:
~How lucky I am to have two extra hours with Henley this morning while other parents mourn the loss of their child.
~The awesomeness that is my husband as he celebrates his birthday. (And his parents for helping him be awesome).
~Leftover pumpking pancakes and sausage from yesterday's breakfast.
~The gift of having talents and the resources to use and share them with others.
~A mostly healthy body.
~The continuous, daily opportunity to repent, be forgiven and be guided by the Holy Ghost.
~Fall weather.
~Organizational skills.
~Family
~MUSIC and how it can resonate feelings within that have laid dormant for too long.

That's the short list for today. Don't forget to wish David a Happy Birthday!! :)

No comments: