Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Lucky One

It's August! I suppose the real countdown begins. I'm fully aware that this is the month that most expectant mothers are in the "get this baby out of me" phase, but I'm not quite there yet.

Friday last week I started having this pain (non-baby related) in my gluteal/tailbone region (somewhat embarrassing, but I have to be honest). By Saturday David noted that it looked purple (obviously I can't see it) so I tried to rack my brain of how I might have bruised/broken my tailbone. I really am quite careful and would recall falling and an impact of that magnitude. By Sunday it was no bruise, but swollen. Monday it was bigger, more painful and I left work early in tears it was hurting so much. By the time I left work on Monday I had diagnosed myself and decided that I knew what it was and I would wait to see if the doctor agreed with me.

Tuesday evening was my appointment. We went through the regular routine (lost three more pounds?!) and then I told the doctor about my pain. He measured and observed and decided I needed to go to another doctor to have it removed. We were ushered to the waiting room to hear the other doctor's response. Our doctor's office is a couple blocks from home and David was getting restless so I was just in the process of convincing him I was okay and he could walk home when the nurse called us back again and brought us back to the procedure room.

I should explain this room. It is about 8x8 with a deep shelf along one wall, a computer desk, two chairs, the procedure table thing, a couple of other medical contraptions and a stool. If you can imagine myself on the table (obviously), David in a chair, the PA on the stool by the computer desk (and David and the computer and the table), and the nurse between the table and the shelves with the doctor worming through the few open spaces so he can look at me while he's telling me what's going on. This was a very, very warm room.

At this point, we had been told nothing. One of the nurses came back with a consent form for a procedure and I had no idea what she was talking about. I deduced that this thing was coming off NOW. I was in such pain that I was just fine with this. The nurse then explains her understanding of what is going to happen as I'm signing the sheet. Then the PA comes in (very nice, she's great) and explains a completely different procedure and I realize the nurse has no idea what's going on. Then the doctor comes in to tell me that the other doctor won't operate while I'm pregnant because he usually does the surgery while under epidural or he fully puts the person out. Too risky. The alternative is for the PA to clean it all out and I'll see the surgeon after I have the baby. The PA takes a picture because apparently these are rare and it's exciting. The doctor leaves and things begin. Lots of needles for local anesthetic. Lots of pressure, painful pressure, and of course, David continuing to get compliments for how sweet he is to me during all of this.

I know this is pretty gross and you are all very lucky that none of you were there, but the thing is, as gross (and awkward) as all that was, David was right there stroking my hair, checking on me, being as supportive as he possibly could while holding back tears of seeing me in that much pain. I can't say I ever expected to have to need someone around to change bandages on my bottom, but David certainly gains a million zillion points for being the only person that would do this for me, especially when I'll have to have another surgery in a few weeks after the baby is born and he'll have to do it all again. I really do have one of the good ones. :) I'm not sure he's believed me until he heard the other ladies noticing how great he is.

Today I woke up with almost all the pain gone. Wow! I'm so glad I only had to deal with that for a few days. The ladies said, based on the way I handled that, I should be just fine in labor. I suppose this was my trial run.

2 comments:

Susie said...

So the bottom line is - what was it????

Holly Long said...

It's called a pilonidal cyst. Weird and all that jazz.