Thursday, December 9, 2010

Music

I have always loved music. Particularly the music in which the lyrics struck particularly close to my heart strings. Some songs provided comfort, some provided strength, others renewed faith and many helped me feel just a little bit more understood. Before I left for graduate school for a town where I had no friends, knew nobody and left on an adventure that only I could experience, I made a playlist and titled it "Empowered Farewell". It contained songs that reminded me of all the reasons I needed to be away from the place I had left. It made the days that I thought I wanted to return easier. I listened to that playlist almost every day on my walk to class. Those songs were my soundtrack for grad school.

Then, my external hard drive broke. I some of my songs, but I lost all my playlists. Of over 9,000 songs, I had rated, sorted, and playlist-ed all of them in my time at Harding. I am rebuilding, but that list was the first to be restarted. Not because I again intend to embark on a journey which requires extra musical support (then again, isn't every day such a journey these days?), but because those songs became a part of me and until I recreate the list...I think a part of me will still be missing.

I really do miss music, but mostly because of the huge part of me that I identify it as.

No comments: