I am a sentimental person. I remember dates, firsts, etc. and believe that they should be celebrated accordingly. My husband, on the other hand, would almost let Christmas pass by without observing it (if it weren't for the gifts, of course). Unfortunately, the responsibility of encouraging celebration often falls on me. This is difficult because 1) I lack creativity 2) I don't trust my own instincts and 3) I worry about others (i.e. David) feeling "dragged" into something they don't want to do. (This is also why you rarely see any pictures up here.)
I want things to be festive and a certain way, but I'm really not so great at the follow through of coming up with the idea. Now, if you tell me that a person must have corned beef brisket for any appropriate St. Patty's Day celebration, then I can do it. I attempted to hunt down a shamrock cookie cutter for a couple weeks. When I realized that they were nowhere to be found in town and I'd have to order it, I gave up because there was no time to get it here on time. Blah.
I've been disappointed on holidays because somehow my subconscious thought it was David's job to make the days special (I was totally wrong on that one). Our first New Years' was a prime example, but we won't go there. In any case, my first Mother's Day is around the corner, literally. I have no idea what I want (which really puts David in a tough spot), but I worry that knowing what I want will really only set poor David and all his efforts up for failure.
So, I have a question of you veteran mothers out there: What are some Mothers' Days that you remember and what made them memorable? Your first Mothers' Day? Anything you wish had happened that didn't? Or did happen that you wish hadn't? I really want to not be upset, but if I don't know what is important, I promise you that it won't happen. Please help my poor husband out by helping me out. :)
I have a new achievement! Blog's Birthday
1 year ago









6 comments:
I generally don't like mother's day all that much b/c... well, you know the reason.
Andrew usually does something sweet... like fix breakfast or lunch or something, and I like that. I would like to be pampered more. Ya know, get a break from being a mommy, which really doesn't make sense since it is MOTHER'S day, but whatever. haha
I can't really think of anything in particular that's been done for me other than he lets me take a nap or cooks... but those things are nice. He may have gotten me a present on occasion, but I can't remember. It's mostly the cooking that I remember. haha
Well, I know why you only remember the food. I suppose I'm pretty spoiled and should just shut it. He cooks for me all the time. In reality, I think HE should get something, but that's what Father's Day is for, right?
Hey Holly, I hope you had a GREAT first Mothers Day. I read this post from a friend of mine, and thought it might help you, I know it helped me.
ooops I posted under the wrong account, but it's still me.
What post?
http://www.deepsouthmoms.com/2010/05/a-new-kind-of-mothers-day.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DeepSouthMoms+%28Deep+South+Moms%29
I thought I put it in the first one, but it didn't work. try this, sorry!
Post a Comment