Mom, I didn't forget. Actually, all day I've been thinking (and telling everyone) it's your birthday. In honor of your birthday I decided I would hurry and put this up for you (and everyone else) to see.
In January 2007 mom helped me finish my first quilt. It only took about 12 years to finish and she then bound it. At the end of Christmas vacation she sent me back to Arkansas with parts of her "stash" and a beginning quilting book for me to choose whatever pattern I would like for the quilt. I was actually wise enough to take pictures of the progress. There are some gaps (especially in the location) between times the quilt got my full attention and when I got...married, graduated, moving, a job, pregnant...finished. Last night I finished the binding on the quilt.
The entire reason this quilt got a kick in the pants is because the baby comes in August and I wanted to start (and finish) a quilt in record time for her and I wasn't allowing myself to start until this one was finished. Here are pictures of the process as well as some stats. The pattern is called a Drunkard's Patch, but the full pattern is called the Friendship Vine. The quilt doesn't have a name yet. 50 pieces to each square and 20 squares, so it took a little while. :)
This is the pile before sorting.
Ahhh, after sorting. :)

So, this is what the square is supposed to look like...eventually.
The first finished square!
All the squares in their rows!
All the rows sewn together!
Then quilted...
...ready for the binding and FINISHED!!
We're both really glad to have this finished. Now I can cut the squares for the next, much less complicated quilt. :) Three months will be the fastest I've ever finished a quilt!
Happy Birthday again mom!









1 comment:
Awesome, Holly! Good job! A great birthday present! Sorry we didn't get to talk longer. Can't wait to see the next one. Don't forget to document it, too!
Post a Comment