I believe I have mentioned that I am a collector of memories. Oftentimes these memories are caught up in items. When I was cleaning out the "office" for the arrival of the princess I threw away eight bags of memories. One can only hold on for so long. There are some that I still hold close.
When I lived with Nanny, she was excellent and exposing me to culture in the best way. Every year we went to see a production of a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta. We prepared thoroughly for this event. First, we checked out the Complete Works from the library. We would lay in bed nightly and read from it so that I felt like I knew exactly what was going on. We would make sure to finish before we attended the production and it made the production all the more enjoyable as a nine to eleven year old to "get" what was going on.
This book was one of the first items I added to my "Most Wanted" wishlists on Amazon. I never expected to actually read it, but wanted to treasure that memory. A few weeks ago a package arrived at our home. David opened it (I was at work) and he asked if I knew anything about Gilbert & Sullivan. To say that I freaked out was an understatement. I didn't realize how much I wanted it until I had it. (Some very interesting facts about our pal Gilbert. Did you know he was kidnapped by pirates when he was 2 years old and his dad payed a 150 pound sterling ransom on him? Neither did I!)
David and I were talking about our wish lists last night. Some days I look at mine and think they are excessive. Am I really ever going to read ALL those books?! Do I really expect to be motivated to bake as much as my wish list would lead someone to believe? Honestly, not today. Not in Moab. And not in a tiny apartment two flights up.
Then the questions change. Do I want to be someone that is well read? Do I want to have opportunities to be creative? Do I enjoy dancing in the living room to a variety of music with the princess? Do I want to be better than who I am today?
I think people's wish lists tell a lot about them. Each of you can determine for yourselves what each one means. I'm not profiling wish lists here. I know that David's lists are specific to his talent with music and improving his talent. (Speaking of, I finally found a way to let you hear his song! Follow this link and listen. I get chills every time!)
Sorry, I totally got sidetracked when thinking about David's music. Anyway, I think we can all be who we want to be, but it takes work and sometimes a few wishes. :)
I have a new achievement! Blog's Birthday
1 year ago









No comments:
Post a Comment