Friday, May 20, 2011

Sick Ramblings

I was thinking today. A dangerous pasttime, I know. I realized that, in short, my job is to talk to people, usually kids about stuff that is going on. I care about them, I ask about their day, I remember facts like the name of the boy they have a crush on. My case managers...usually their job is to spend time with the kids. They take them places and show them how to interact with other kids their same age. To recognize when they are creating conflict and learning how to resolve it. I wondered today, as I very much simplified my job, if the kids realize that we basically serve as their parents. We seem to care about the things that their parents are too busy, stressed, or what not to have time for. We are paid to care when other people don't. I really wonder how that affects the kids' relationship with their parents. Do they realize that we are being paid to do the things that their parents do not think are important enough to do themselves? I'm sure most kids don't notice because we are awesomely cool people who really do care, but if they put that together...therapy only improves the relationship between me and them.

I suppose my dreams of being a full-time parent have been reached, just not with my own kid. Some days, I just wish the kids were more important than the "important" things.

1 comment:

River Nomads said...

Beauty and the Beast. Called it! Love you Holly!!