We were warned. Everyone I talked to in town said not to leave your house the weekend of Jeep Safari, but we didn't listen. When it came down to it, laundry had to be done. We got up early on Saturday to get our four loads done before the "crowd" hit. Usually it isn't so many, but we had to wash the greasy car clothes separately. The plan was to finish laundry and then meet up with the Bishop so we could get inside the church and watch a couple videos our Temple Preparation teacher had assigned us to watch. My VCR was one of the things that stayed behind in the move, so we needed to use the church.
We left the Laundromat and there were Jeeps everywhere on every road in lines. Like they were gearing up for some kind of a parade or convoy or something. We continued down the back roads in hopes to cross Main Street to get to the church without interruption...boy were we wrong!
We stopped at the light and there was an officer in the intersection directing us to stop and everyone else to go. We sat through five lights (at least) watching Jeeps pass by. I would venture to say there were at least 200 Jeeps, probably more, that passed in front of us and made us almost late to meet the Bishop.
In therapy settings, when someone has an intense fear one method of overcoming that fear is using flooding. Just imagine Fear Factor kind of things: a box of spiders, snakes, etc. to help "overcome" a fear. In theory that works. I've never thought of it in the reverse sense. I mean, I know there are people who have drank too much, overdosed, etc. and that was their motivation for "cleaning up", but I never really thought that my youthful infatuation with Jeeps was a problem or unhealthy. Now, I am completely sure that I would be happy to never see another Jeep in my life. At no point will I ever own one. And if nothing else, I am more motivated than ever to not be in town during next year's Jeep Safari.
I have a new achievement! Blog's Birthday
1 year ago









No comments:
Post a Comment