I'm not really superstitious by an means, but I used to pretend to be. My first negative encounter with Friday the 13th is when I took my driver's test the first time. I took the test (with very little driving experience) and then attributed the failure to the day. The next time I took the test, I was using the same car. Of course, the car was still "cursed" from the first time, so I again failed (also, still not much driving experience). The final time I took the test my sister finally got rid of the "cursed" car and I was able to pass with flying colors. Yes, blame the day and superstitions instead of my own lack of experience. I know better now, mostly.
In an effort to counteract my poor luck (or history) of Friday the 13ths I ended up going through the temple to receive my endowments on a Friday the 13th. Since then, I suppose the 13th day of the month, regardless of which day of the week it fell on, was just another day.
June of last year was the last Friday the 13th. My sister chose to get married that day. Let's hope her luck is better than mine!
Interestingly enough, seven (isn't that a "lucky" number?) years to the day of my counteracting of the 13th was the day that I decided to marry my husband...in 12 days.
This year we get two Friday the 13ths in a row! This one is especially fun because it brings more glad tidings. I'm 13 weeks on Friday the 13th. This is good because I should have fewer scares and maybe will actually start feeling pregnant. After having three ultrasounds in two weeks, I suppose I'm more of a doubting Thomas than I thought. :P
On the other end of the spectrum, bad things really do happen, but not because of the day of the week or date or how many steps you took that morning. They happen because that is life. This morning, life smacked David across the face and he was knocked down for a bit. Nothing serious, but if something upsets my husband, it's upsetting. I went home for lunch to offer what support 45 minutes allows and felt as though nothing was working. I said a silent prayer for his day so he could handle this little hiccup and be okay with me going back to work (I mean, leaving every day is hard enough when he's happy!). Within minutes something happened that reduced his stress level and gave him time to go hiking and get out of the house.
It was just so nice to have a prayer so quickly answered, even if it is Friday the 13th. :)
I have a new achievement! Blog's Birthday
1 year ago









No comments:
Post a Comment