Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Growing Up

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that Henley is starting to hit her sweet spot lately. Of course, this means that my life is a million times easier. She has enough independence to get a cheese stick or yogurt out of the fridge when she needs a snack. Her statements of "I don't like you mom!" are shifting to "I like you mom" linked with a soft hug. Two days ago, after dinner, she came into the kitchen as I was packing up leftovers with a request to "snuggle mommy in the big bed". Of course, I responded with a yes and we spent an hour and a half reading books, snuggling, and tickling with a dose of hiding under the covers for good measure. Maybe it was because she was starting to get sick, but still, it was pretty close to the best day ever. Last night (after Daddy took care of her all day sick and tummy troubles) she didn't want to go to bed, so I offered to stay in her room until she fell asleep. Something that I really should do more often. Her tantrum to go to bed was shorter, with less hitting, and ended with snuggles on my lap and a willing entrance to her little bed. She laid down and I sang her songs (Twinkle, Twinkle; You Are My Sunshine; and Smile if you must know) until she drifted off to sleep with one hand tucked under her face and the other just slightly below it. I stayed and read my book until I was sure she was asleep and then headed to bed myself. I think, just maybe, I'll start hanging out in her room for bedtime for a little while. Embrace the niceness and maybe it will come more frequently.

She is still growing. Now wearing size 12 shoes and sizes 5 and 6, depending on the brand. She has the book "No Hitting" memorized with inflections. She even is learning math in preschool and picking it up like a champ. She is awesome. Maybe one day she'll let me brush her hair and you'll see a picture.

No comments: