Friday, October 5, 2012

Parents Empowered

I know that I haven't posted in a long time. It looks like Henley's birthday went by unobserved as well as my own. This is not to say that we haven't been busy. Regardless, I am here about something else completely unrelated. I went to a conference last week regarding substance abuse. I haven't been to any substance abuse training as a children's therapist so it was so great to get some training regarding specific needs for kids with substance abuse problems. One of the initiatives going strong in Utah is called "Parents Empowered" and it is a campaign to stop/reduce underage drinking. There are great resources, commercials, and other methods to support a parent in reducing the risk of underage drinking. It is a shame that it is only so prevalent in Utah. If you have kids, you should check out the site. If you have little kids, you should check out the site. If you will have kids, you should check out the site. If you don't have kids, but you know any kids, you should check out the site. Sensing a theme here? Yes, check it out. I insist.

I also noticed during this training that I tend to not have opinions about things, anything. This is one thing I have an opinion about. Kids shouldn't drink. Ever. There is no "it's just a phase". There is no "as long as it's at my house". There are so many reasons kids do use alcohol, none of them are good and most of them are linked to the quality of their family relationships. The number one recommended method of treatment for youth substance abuse is Family Therapy. Coincidence? No. Not at all.

No comments: